RE: Animal Farm Questions: Chapter Four
- How does Mr. Jones spend most of his time after he is kicked off his farm?
- Who is Mr. Pilkington and how does Orwell describe him?
- Who is Mr. Frederick and how does Orwell describe him?
- What is the typical relationship between these two men?
5. Who is Mr. Frederick and how does Orwell describe him?
Mr. Frederick was another farmer, a neighbor of Mr. Jones. He had a farm, Pinchfield. It was smaller than Mr. Pilkington`s farm and it was in a better condition. Mr. Frederick is compassionate about Mr. Jones situation; however, he wants to use it to his own advantage. He tries to make business with the Animal Farm by buying wood, but he pays for it with fake money. Orwell describes him as “a tough man” who is constantly “involved in lawsuits”. He is portrayed as a classic businessman, with exact objectives and which will do anything to obtain what he needs.