RE: Discussion questions – Hobbit Chapter 16 “A Thief in the Night” and Chapter 17 “The Clouds Burst”
- Why does Bilbo volunteer to take the watch for Bombur?
- Who is among the men and elves?
- What does Thorin offer for the Arkenstone?
- Who was Dain’s father?
- What happens just as the dwarves are about to begin the battle against the men and elves?
1. He puts on his ring of invisibility and goes to the elves. He asks to be taken to Bard, and gives him the Arkenstone for using it in negotiating peace with Thorin.