RE: Discussion questions – The Odyssey, Book 1: What is Olympus? Who meets there
- What is Olympus? Who meets there?
- What type of system of morality does Zeus invoke?
- Who is Telemachus? How old is he?
- Why does Athena mention Orestes to Telelmachus?
- Who is Odysseus and what has happened to him?
- What is happening to Penelope during Odysseus’ absence?
- Why is Poseidon angry?
What is happening to Penelope during Odysseus’ absence?
While Odysseus was fighting far away in Troyland, his baby son grew to be a big boy. And when years passed and Odysseus did not return, the boy, Telemachus, grew to be a man.Telemachus loved his beautiful mother, She was loyal and devoted, and she knew how to put a man to the test. Her proposal to test the wooers with the bow of Odysseus gave Odysseus the advantage that he needed. Penelope, but his heart always longed for the hero father whom he could only dimly remember. As time went on, he longed more and more, for evil things came to pass in the kingdom of Odysseus. For three years, Penelope has put off choosing a husband among the suitors by saying that she must first finish weaving a shroud for Laertes. Each day she weaves and each night she unravels her day’s work. Thus she delays for three years until a treacherous maid spills the beans.