RE: Help me with 1984 assigment
- Compare and contrast Julia and Winston. How does each rebel against the Party, and are these rebellions at all effective?
- Trace Winston’s path towards destruction. Where do we first see his fatalistic outlook? Is his defeat inevitable?
- Discuss the role of technology in Oceania. In what areas is technology highly advanced, and in what areas has its progress stalled? Why?
- Discuss the role of Big Brother in Oceania and in Winston’s life. What role does Big Brother play in each?
- Discuss contradiction in Oceania and the Party’s governance, i.e. Ministry of Love, Ministry of Truth, Ministry of Plenty, Ministry of Peace. Why is such contradiction accepted so widely?
4. Big Brother is a very significant character as far as the plot of the novel is concerned. Even though he does not appear in the novel in person, he leaves an impact on the readers as well as the characters. Through the descriptions we can make out that Big Brother is the leader of Oceania. The most important thing he is is the provider of all good things to the citizens of Oceania. In a world where war is a fact of every day life, the citizens need protection. Big Brothers is the opposite of Goldstein. Ironically, he is also the symbol of the surveillance and total control of their lives throught the workings of the Thought Police and the Inner Party which we know are real.