RE: Help me with 1984 assigment
- Why is O’Brien such a revered and respected character, even during Winston’s time in the Ministry of Love?
- Outline the social hierarchy of Oceania. How does this hierarchy support the Party and its goals?
- Is Winston sane or insane? How does our society determine what is sane and insane, appropriate behavior or deviant behavior, moral or immoral? If one person believes in an idea or creed that is totally different from or opposite to that of the entire society, is that person insane?
- Should a government restrict personal freedoms in order to decrease violence and crimes?
2. Big Brother sits at the top of the social hierarchy, followed by the Inner Party, Outer Party and Proles. The outer party is the bureaucracy which runs the giant autocratic government. The inner party is made up of a handful of old men, who control everything simply to stay in power forever. The proles make up the bulk of the population. They are the ignorant masses and are afforded much more freedom than outer party members because they are not seen as a threat.