RE: I need some help with The Great Gatsby
1. Why would Fitzgerald write this from Nick Carraway’s point of view?
2. What is the relationship between Nick and the Buchanans?
3. Why does Daisy always speak in such exaggerated phrases?
4. Why does Daisy hope her child will be a “beautiful fool”?
5. Why does Daisy describe her youth as a “white girlhood”?
6. Why does Gatsby reach out to the water?
7. What might the green light symbolize?
8. Who is Nick Carraway? What do you know about him from the first chapter? (Focus particularly on his views, emotions, and reactions to others).
9. Who is Tom Buchanan? What do you know about him from the first chapter? (Focus on what he says, his physical descriptions, and actions).
10. Who is Daisy Buchanan? What do you know about her from the first chapter? (Focus on what she says and her actions).
10. Daisy Buchanan is Nick’s cousin and a woman Gatsby loves. When she first met Gatsby before the war, she fell in love and promised to wait for him. Although she had a need to feel loved and when Tom proposed to her, she agreed. She is sardonic and somewhat cynical and hides her pain behind her superficial behavior.