RE: Please help with homework Jane Eyre: Did Grace Poole try to kill
- Did Grace Poole try to kill Mr. Rochester with a knife?
- Has everyone at Thornfield known about Grace Poole’s attempt to murder Mr. Rochester?
- Did Mr. Brocklehurst and his family live a simple life?
- Is Jane goes to Thornfield Hall to become a governor?
2. Has everyone at Thornfield known about Grace Poole’s attempt to murder Mr. Rochester?
No, only Jane knew that. The day after the fire in Mr. Rochester’s bedroom, Jane is shocked to find Grace, who had presumably tried to murder Mr. Rochester, mending the curtains. Grace tells Jane that Rochester fell asleep while his candle was lit, but he awoke before the fire spread too far. Both Jane and Grace seem to know more than each lets on, and they test the other’s story; Jane accordingly changes part of her account. Jane is flummoxed by Grace’s version of the event, especially because she shows no sign of guilt for what has occurred. Jane is also confused by Mr. Rochester’s desire for her not to tell her side of what happened.