RE: Please help with homework Jane Eyre: Did Grace Poole try to kill
- Did Grace Poole try to kill Mr. Rochester with a knife?
- Has everyone at Thornfield known about Grace Poole’s attempt to murder Mr. Rochester?
- Did Mr. Brocklehurst and his family live a simple life?
- Is Jane goes to Thornfield Hall to become a governor?
3. Did Mr. Brocklehurst and his family live a simple life?
The school’s headmaster is Mr. Brocklehurst, a cruel, hypocritical, and abusive man. Brocklehurst preaches a doctrine of poverty and privation to his students while using the school’s funds to provide a wealthy and opulent lifestyle for his own family. Mr. Brocklehurst is demoted once people learn about the way he ran Lowood. The school is then relocated and managed by a committee, providing a much better standard of living for the girls. After a group of more sympathetic gentlemen takes Brocklehurst’s place, Jane’s life improves dramatically. She spends eight more years at Lowood, six as a student and two as a teacher.