RE: The Catcher in the Rye help with homework Chapter 20
- What does Holden’s wound symbolize on page 150?
- What is significant about Holden’s sitting on the radiator in the men’s room?
- Of what significance is it that Holden breaks the record he had bought for Phoebe?
- Does Holden find the ducks in the park when he goes there? In what ways is his discovery symbolic?
- Why is it particularly pathetic that there are chunks of ice in Holden’s hat?
- What does Holden find hypocritical about funerals?
Of what significance is it that Holden breaks the record he had bought for Phoebe?
The significance of the broken record is that it connects to Holden’s emotions and it is chattered and broken like he is. ” I damn near cried, it made me feel so terrible, but all I did was, I took the pieces out of the envelope and put them away in my coat pocket.” Phoebe also picks up those shattered pieces; she is Holden’s salvation and his support.