RE: The Catcher in the Rye help with homework Chapter 23
- Why was James Castle important to Holden?
- How does Holden regard Mr. Antolini?
- How does Phoebe manipulate her mother?
- What does Phoebe give Holden?
- What does Holden’s mother smell when she comes home?
- What does Holden ask to borrow from Phoebe?
- What time is it when Holden calls Mr. Antolini?
What does Phoebe give Holden?
Sixteen-year-old Holden Caulfield has been expelled from multiple schools for failing classes and is avoiding going home for winter break to face his parents. At the beginning of Chapter 23 in J.D. Salinger’s novel of teenage angst, The Catcher in the Rye, Holden has snuck into his parent’s apartment to visit his little sister, Phoebe, while his parents are away at a party. Holden asks sister if she has any money he can borrow, and is moved to tears when she gives him all of her Christmas stash; $8.65. She tells Holden if he leaves, he will not be able to see her in her Christmas play. Holden says he will not go to Colorado to be a Ranch worker, until after he sees her in the Christmas play. As Holden is leaving, he suddenly starts crying. He tells us he is crying so hard that he cannot even stop. Phoebe becomes frightened for her brother. So, Holden gives Phoebe his red hunting cap. He tells us he is sure she will like it because she likes unique things like that. Holden says he bets she will even put it on after he leaves, and sleep in it.