RE: The Catcher in the Rye help with homework Chapter 23
- Why was James Castle important to Holden?
- How does Holden regard Mr. Antolini?
- How does Phoebe manipulate her mother?
- What does Phoebe give Holden?
- What does Holden’s mother smell when she comes home?
- What does Holden ask to borrow from Phoebe?
- What time is it when Holden calls Mr. Antolini?
What does Holden’s mother smell when she comes home?
After calling Mr. Antolini, Holden returns to D.B.’s room, now inhabited by Phoebe. She has the radio on, and she’s pretty good at it: ‘She stays right with you. You can cross over, or do some corny dips, or even jitterbug a little, and she stays right with you. You can even tango, for God’s sake.’. Holden lights a cigarette, and Phoebe explains how she can fake a fever. Suddenly, they hear their parents entering the apartment. Holden turns out the lamp, jams out the cigarette, and hides in the closet. His mother checks on Phoebe and, smelling the cigarette, scolds her for smoking.