RE: The Catcher in the Rye help with homework Chapter 23
- Why was James Castle important to Holden?
- How does Holden regard Mr. Antolini?
- How does Phoebe manipulate her mother?
- What does Phoebe give Holden?
- What does Holden’s mother smell when she comes home?
- What does Holden ask to borrow from Phoebe?
- What time is it when Holden calls Mr. Antolini?
What does Holden ask to borrow from Phoebe?
Because he is nearly broke, Holden asks if he might borrow some money from Phoebe. He is moved to tears when his sister gives him her Christmas stash, eight dollars and sixty-five cents. Holden’s emotions frighten Phoebe, but they are not surprising. He is not nearly as independent as he pretends to be. In addition, physically and mentally, he is barely maintaining a delicate balance between function and collapse. Leaving the apartment, he is somewhat careless about making noise. He tells us that he almost wishes that his parents would catch him. Holden is 16 years old, confused, depressed, and lonely. It’s almost Christmas. He needs a home.