RE: The Great Gatsby Questions (Chapter 2)
- What do you find is the most crucial in the plot in Chapter 2?
- How does Nick meet Tom’s mistress?
- How does Myrtle react to Tom’s arrival?
- Describe George Wilson. How does he react to Tom’s arrival?
- Describe the setting of the valley of the ashes where George and Myrtle live. What aspects of the valley of the ashes are symbolic, and what do they symbolize? Use a quotation from the text to justify your answer.
- Why does Tom attack Myrtle at the end of the party?
4. George has blond hair and light blue eyes; he is spiritless, anemic (lacking power, vigor, or colorfulness; weak), and only faintly handsome. He seems hopeful for something that Tom may bring (we’re led to believe it has something to do with a car that Tom was going to sell him).