RE: The Great Gatsby Questions (Chapter 2)
- What do you find is the most crucial in the plot in Chapter 2?
- How does Nick meet Tom’s mistress?
- How does Myrtle react to Tom’s arrival?
- Describe George Wilson. How does he react to Tom’s arrival?
- Describe the setting of the valley of the ashes where George and Myrtle live. What aspects of the valley of the ashes are symbolic, and what do they symbolize? Use a quotation from the text to justify your answer.
- Why does Tom attack Myrtle at the end of the party?
5. “About half way between West Egg and New York the motor road hastily joins the railroad and runs beside it for a quarter of a mile, so as to shrink away from a certain desolate area of land. This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens; where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and, finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air.”
Valley of Ashes is a dump and its rotting represents rotting American dream.