RE: The Great Gatsby Questions (Chapter 9)
- What do you find is the most crucial in the plot of Chapter 9?
- What is the motive publicly given for Wilson’s murder of Gatsby?
- What does the telephone call from Chicago tell us about Gatsby’s business?
- Why is Gatsby’s father so proud of him?
- How does Nick characterize Tom and Daisy at the end of the book? Use at least one quotation from the book to justify your answer.
- What does the green light symbolize at the end of the novel? Use a quotation from the book to justify your answer.
5. “they were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made. . . .”
Nick characterizes them as vapid and self-indulgent.They make Nick sick to his stomach because they have destroyed even the illusion of real love, caring, compassion and humanity.