1984 Part 1 Chapter III – Discussion Questions
1) On p.32 of this chapter, Winson states that “Tragedy…belonged to an ancient time…” On page 33 he wakes up with “‘Shakespeare’ on his lips.” What do you think George Orwell was trying to say by putting these two ideas together.
2) State the names of the countries at war. What is the lie regarding these countries that Winston knows?
3) Describe doublethink (see page 37-38). Can you think of a modern example of doublethink?
4) What are some other lies told by the state that Winston mentions?
5) Choose one or two lines that attracted your attention. Discuss why.