1984 PART 1: Chapter IV – Discussion Questions:
1) Describe where Winston works and what Winston does for a living.
2) On page 43, Winston states that “it was not even forgery. It was merely the substitution of one piece of nonsense for another.” Explain what he means by this.
3) What does “vaporized” mean? What is an “unperson.”
4) Who are proles? How are they treated differently?
5) What is a “speakwrite”?
6) Describe Comrade Ogilvy. What are the circumstances of his life and death and how is he significant to the story?
7) Choose one or two lines that attracted your attention. Discuss why.