1984 PART II: Chapter IV – Discussion Questions
1) Who is Mr. Charrington and where do Julia and Winston now meet?
2) What is a “versificator”? (p145)
3) Julia shows up with groceries. Where did she get them?
4) What does Julia talk about that horrifies Winston?
5) Describe the paperweight (p152). Why does Winston like it? How is the paperweight like a metaphor for their relationship? (p154)
6) Nursery rhymes are mentioned throughout the novel. Write two verses of a nursery rhyme you sang as a child. Google the song and write a few notes about the origins. What is Orwell pointing out by mentioning nursery rhymes so often? (Hint: Inner and Outer party members are not allowed to sing these songs.)