1984 PART II: Chapter VII – Discussion Questions
1) When Winston thinks back to his childhood, how did he behave towards his mother and sister? Provide details.
2) What happens to his mother and sister?
3) What does Winston mean when he says, “The proles had stayed human”? (p.172)
4) Re-read from the last paragraph of page 173 to the end of the chapter on page 174. Use a sticky note to tag this part; it will become important later in the book. What do Julia and Winston believe the Party will never be able to do?
5) Choose one or two lines that attracted your attention. Discuss why.