The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, writing homework help: Discuss the development of Jim as a character.
Discuss the development of Jim as a character.
- How is he portrayed in the opening chapters of the novel?
- How does his character evolve as the novel continues? What do we learn about him?
- How is he ultimately a foil or contrast to Pap?
- Discuss the depiction of Jim in the closing chapters of the novel. Can you reconcile him as both the victim of Tom Sawyer’s ridiculous “ambuscade” and the noble soul who risks his long-sought freedom to save Tom’s life?
- Decide and discuss whether Twain’s ending negates or strengthens Jim’s character development.