Discussion question – The adventures of Tom Sawyer: How does the Widow Douglas try to regulate Huck’s life
- How does the Widow Douglas try to regulate Huck’s life? Why does Huck want to escape?
- What qualities does Tom Sawyer possess that make the others always choose him as the Captain, or the Chief or the General or the Number One person in any game?
- What human qualities does Aunt Polly exhibit in her behavior toward Tom?
- Discuss Twain’s use of superstition throughout the novel and show how these superstitions affect the various actions.
- Discuss how each of the minor characters is important to the entire novel: Judge Thatcher; Mr. Dobbins, the schoolmaster; Muff Potter; Mr. Jones, the Welshman; Amy Lawrence; and Joe Harper.