Discussion questions – Scarlet Pimpernel: Chapter XXVI
1. Why can Chauvelin neither see nor hear nor speak?
2. Who did the tall Englishman visit and what did he ask for?
3. How are the Jews portrayed in this chapter? Do you think Baroness Orczy, the author, is
prejudiced against the Jews? (answer not in book, just your opinion)
4. Describe the Jew.
5. Why is the Jew so upset with Reuben Goldstein?
6. What is wrong with Reuben’s horse and cart, according to the Jew?
7. Where does the Jew say that he can take Chauvelin? How much does he pay the Jew?
8. What is the name of the road going to Pere Blanchard’s hut?
9. What is the name of the next town on St. Martin’s Road?