Discussion questions – The Iliad: What do you think of Agamemnon’s
- What do you think of Agamemnon’s apology (376-78)? Didn’t Achilles blame Zeus also (382)? Why do you think Achilles refuses to eat (380, 383)?
- Compare and contrast Achilles’ treatment of Lycaon and his speech on death (405-406) with his speech in the underworld in the Odyssey, Book 11 (265-266).
- Why do you think Homer included the episode of Achilles fighting the river? Compare / contrast with the idea of “exceeding” one’s fate (16.819; 20.30-33; 21.529-31).
- What do you think makes Hector decide finally to face and fight Achilles?
- Is Achilles’ treatment of Hector’s body justified (in Greek terms)? Vase painting: Achilles dragging Hector’s body while Priam and Hecuba look on (Perseus).