Discussion questions – The Iliad: Who do you think is in
- Who do you think is in the right in this quarrel? Who do the Achaeans think is in the right? Why? Why do you think Achilles and Agamemnon fail to take Nestor’s advice?
- What kind of people do you think Agamemnon and Achilles are?
- How do you think Achilles “decides” to refrain from killing Agamemnon (7-8)? Why does Achilles give up Briseis (8-10)? What do you think of Achilles’ refusal to fight?
- In what senses is Agamemnon more powerful than Achilles?
- How do men get gods to do what men want?