Help me with 1984 assigment
- Is reality objective, existing independently of our perception of it as Winston believes? Or is reality subjective, existing only in our perception of it as the Party believes? Can two people see the same reality differently? If so, which is the real reality?
- Peter Jennings once said, “Whoever controls the media, controls reality.” Do you agree? Do we believe the news we read and see on television? Can the news media be used to manipulate us?
- Henry Kissenger wrote, “History is the memory of states.” Is history unchangeable, existing independently of human memory or human records, or can history be rewritten using different records and different points of view? What is the importance of history in our lives?
2. As a people we are all very controlled by the media if we always accept it at face value. If we do not question, research, and find what the truth may be or the bias of the news media may be, we are subject to the whims of the news media. The media is used to manipulate us. Simple phrasing of a headline can change how people view others. For example, saying “Man kills 4 people” and saying “Terrorist kills 4 people” are two completely different headlines. Calling the person a terrorist evokes a plethora of different thoughts in a person’s head.
- Reality is subjective. It exists how we perceive it. For example, people may view losing a family member in very different ways. The family can view it as that person attaining peace and he/she is in a better place. Another family can view a death as the most painful event in life. This family would take the death in a completely different view than the other family. The reality is the same; the person has still died. However, people see reality differently based off of their perceptions. Objective reality is the real reality because it is things are happening no matter how we perceive them
3.History is unchangeable. People may view events that happened in different ways, but the fact of the matter is that the event still occurred. Events that already occurred in the past can’t be rewritten, however, things that happen in the future that contradict what happened in the past can be considered as “rewriting the past.” History plays a very important role in our lives. It sets a precedent for future events. Without history, we wouldn’t have anything to base our future actions off of or learn from mistakes.