Lord of the Flies Questions Chapter 1
Chapter 1: “The Sound of the Shell”
- Describe the major characters: Ralph, Piggy, and Jack.
- What instances of foreshadowing occur in this chapter? What predictions can you make about what sorts of things might happen later in the novel?
- What do the boys‟ attitudes and actions (e.g. Ralph‟s joy at being free of “grownups,” the vote for the leader, Ralph‟s telling the other boys about Piggy‟s nickname) reveal about human nature?
- What is the significance (the meaning and importance) of the boys‟ encounter with the wild piglet?
- What do you think the “sound of the shell” and the conch itself might symbolize?