Moby-Dick discussion questions Chapter 59: “Squid” and Chapter 60 “The Line”
- What mistake occurs in this chapter? Why?
- Why might Melville mention that the sperm whale alone “obtains his whole food in unknown zones below the surface”?
- What line does this chapter describe? What does Ishmael’s description of this line suggest to you? What impressions do you get about the line? Why is that important?
- In the last paragraph, Ishmael suggests the line is symbolic. Summarize his reasons for thinking so.
- Also in the last paragraph, Ishmael notes the contrast between external and internal. Does this echo other aspects of the novel? Explain.
Asked on 03.06.2017 in English Literature.