The Great Gatsby Questions (Chapter 1)
- What do you find is the most crucial in the plot in Chapter 1?
- How does Nick describe himself at the beginning of the novel?
- How does Nick describe Tom Buchanan?
- Who is Jordan Baker? What does Nick find appealing about her?
- What is Gatsby doing when Nick first sees him?
- How does the tone of Nick’s description of Tom reveal Nick’s feelings about Tom? Use a quotation from the text to justify your answer.
2. Nick begins the story by telling us that he does not pass judgment on people.
3. Nick describes Tom as enormously wealthy, violent, forceful, aggressive, sturdy, supercilious, arrogant, aggressive, and cruel
4. Jordan is as Nick said “balansing girl”. At first he did not like her, but later understood that she is not that bad.
5. Gatsby’s reaching out towards something, staring at a green light across the water which Nick says could come from a light at the end of a dock
6. Nick does not like Tom at all. He thinks he is dangerous, rude, cruel and voilent.