The Things They Carried help with homework: Assignment #10 (“July ’69”)
Assignment #10 (“July ’69”)
1. What event serves as the backdrop for this story? Why? What is O’Brien’s point?
2. Over the course of the story, what do we learn about David Todd? What is your opinion of him?
3. Why does O’Brien include so many names in the story?
4. What do you think of the voices that David hears? Which are real and which imagined (if any)? How do you know?
5. What choice is David considering at the end of the story? Why does he decide as he does? Is the choice a real one or an imagined one?
6. Is David brave, as the last line suggests?