The Things They Carried help with homework: Assignment #4 (“Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong” pp. 84-110)
Assignment #4 (“Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong” pp. 84-110)
1. What do you make of the story of Mary Anne Bell? Why do you think O’Brien includes it?
2. What kind of person is Mary Anne?
3. Discuss what happens to Mary Anne in the jungle. If any of you have read Heart of Darkness, discuss whether you hear echoes of that story here.
4. What do you think about Rat’s statement, “if it was a guy, everybody’s say, Hey, no big deal.. .”?
5. What do you make of Mary Anne’s statement, “You’re in a place… where you don’t belong”?