The Things They Carried, writing homework help: Objective: Interviewing a subject who lived through the Vietnam War
Objective: Interviewing a subject who lived through the Vietnam War
In “Love,” O’Brien and Cross meet to look back over their experiences in Vietnam. Interview a person who was either a teenager or an adult in America or Vietnam during the war. During your interview, ask your subject the following three Required Interview Questions and another five questions of your own devising. When finished, you will be responsible for turning in:
• a list of the additional five questions you asked your subject, and
• a one-page write-up of what you learned from your subject.
Be prepared to share details and anecdotes from your interview in a class discussion.
REQUIRED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Did you support or oppose American involvement in the Vietnam War? How did you show your support
2. Were you drafted, or did you know anyone (even as an acquaintance) who was? How did you or your
acquaintance handle being drafted?
3. Since the Vietnam War, do you think the United States has gotten or ever will get into “another Vietnam”?