1984 PART II: Chapter II – Discussion Questions
1) When Julia asks Winston what he thought of her before that day, how does he respond?
2) What does Julia rip off her body?
3) Where did Julia get the chocolate?
4) At the top of page 130 a thrush appears. Orwell describes the thrush in detail. What do you think the thrush symbolizes? (there are multiple answers)
5) What does Julia say when Winston asks, “have you done this before?”
6) Why is Winston so happy about her response?
7) In the context of the story, explain why Winston says” “I have purity, I have goodness! I don’t want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones.”