1984 PART III: Chapter III – Discussion Questions
1) According to O’Brien, what are the three stages in Winston’s reintegration?
2) Who wrote “the Book”?
3) Explain what Winston means when he says (p. 275) “What can you do…against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?”
4) O’Brien states that the Party is different from all the other oligarchies of the past. Explain what he means by this? (p.275-76)
5) O’Brien asks Winston to strip and look at himself in the mirror. Why do you think he does this? How does Winston respond?
6) Choose one or two lines that attracted your attention. Discuss why.