The Catcher in the Rye help with homework Chapter 1
- What do we learn about Holden’s relationship with his parents in this chapter?
- How has Holden’s brother D.B. lost his respect? Why does Holden object to his brother’s current writing? What does Holden mean when he says D.B. is in Hollywood “being a prostitute?”
- What is Holden’s self-image in Chapter 1? Find two supporting quotations. What incidents in this chapter tell us that Holden is a loner?
- Give an example of Holden making a broad generalization (a generalization unsupported by specific evidence).
- In talking about good-bys, Holden says, “I don’t care if it’s a sad good-by or a bad good-by, but when I leave a place I like to know I’m leaving it. If you don’t, you feel even worse.” What does this quotation show about Holden’s character?
Asked on 20.04.2017 in English Literature.