The Catcher in the Rye home assignment
- Holden is a great rescuer, but fails to rescue himself.” Discuss.
- “Many, many men have been troubled…as you are right now.” What troubles Holden?
- “Holden Caulfield, the ‘catcher in the rye’, failed in his desire to help others, because he, although sympathetic and charitable, suffered from the over-critical eye of youth.” Discuss.
- “Holden’s problem is not ‘phonies’ but his inability to accept reality.” Do you agree?
- “The Catcher in the Rye is a sad comment on the morals of youth; Holden is callous towards those who care for him, irresponsible and immoral.” Discuss.
Asked on 19.04.2017 in English Literature.