The Catcher in the Rye home assignment
- The Catcher in the Rye is about a teenage idealist who becomes submerged in the seamy side of adult society and almost succumbs.” Discuss.
- “Holden, through the course of his search, is repulsed and frightened, not only by what people do to him, but rather what people do to each other.” Discuss.
- “Holden doesn’t refuse to grow up so much as he agonises over the state of being grown up.” Discuss.
- “ The Catcher in the Rye is sad but not finally hopeless. It is very important to see that it ends on a positive note.” Discuss.
- “Holden’s problem is that he cannot reconcile the ‘nice’ world of childhood with the ‘phoney’ adult world.” Do you agree?
Asked on 19.04.2017 in English Literature.