The Catcher in the Rye home assignment
- Think about Holden’s vision of the nature of childhood and adulthood. Are the two realms as separate as Holden believes them to be? Where does he fit in?
- Discuss the novel as a coming-of-age story. How does Holden’s character change during the course of the novel?
- Consider one of the following as symbols: the gold ring, Pencey Prep, or Holden’s hunting cap.
- Discuss the theme of death in the novel, citing specific events or passages.
- Read one other coming-of-age novel, such as Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or Robert Lipsyte’s The Contender, and compare the protagonists, settings, symbols, and themes with those in The Catcher in the Rye
Asked on 19.04.2017 in English Literature.