Discussion questions – The Things They Carried: Chapters 5 – 6: enemies, friends
Chapters 5 – 6: enemies, friends
1. To what does the narrator attribute Jensen’s paranoia after the fight with Strunk?
2. Is Jensen right in assuring Strunk that he will not carry out their agreement and kill Strunk? Why or why not?
3. Are Jensen and Strunk really enemies in “Enemies”? Are they really friends in “Friends”? Why or why not?
4. What effect is achieved by the narrator’s largely removing himself from the stories told in “Enemies” and “Friends”?
5. Are “Enemies” and “Friends” more effective as separate stories, or should they be combined into a single story?
Asked on 20.05.2017 in The Things They Carried.