What are the main leadership and management skills needed in the different organizations?
Managers and leaders have to work in the field essentially and have to direct their employees or followers. An effective manager or leader should have different types of skills to ensure the proper direction and guidelines of the organization. Here are some of the leadership and management skills needed for an organization to achieve their goals:
- Effective Communication Skills: This skill is paramount to all leaders. A clear written and verbal communication enables a leader to articulate well his expectations, allows being a good listener and uses appropriate body language to his subordinates.
- Organizing skills: This generally involves on creating and planning the strategies and structure to support the employees in their performance for accomplishing the organizational goals and objectives.
- Delegating skills: This is the part wherein a leader directs his subordinate on what to do. Sharing leadership through delegation of some tasks to reliable employees so that the leader may focus on making improvements to the workplace functions and production.
- Negotiation skills: A leader can look at the situation through the other person’s eyes, offers fair options or help out in some way, shows that he had heard and should arrive in an understanding in all conflicts in the workplace.
- Oversight skills: Over sighting means the same with monitoring or controlling. A leader should keep track of what is happening in the organization and putting on the right track what may be out of place.
- Confidence: A leader should be confident and capable not just in his own abilities but with his employees as well so that in every decision he makes his employees are reassured that he is in control of his authority in the organization.
- Respect: A good leader will always respect every employee’s ideas and inputs. This will encourage employees to be more open to the suggestion of new ideas that may help in the success of the organization.
- Fair treatment: Every employee should be ensured that they receive the same treatment and a leader must be consistent in giving rewards and recognition for achievements as well with disciplinary procedures.