Moby-Dick discussion questions Chapter 18 “His Mark” and Chapter 19“The Prophet”
- What is the initial conflict in this chapter? What things resolve it? What does the resolution tell you about Peleg and Bildad? Exactly what are their priorities? What greater conflict does this touch on?
- What elements of comedy creep into this chapter?
- Examine the physical description of the “prophet” carefully. What impressions do you get from his appearance and why do you think Melville wanted it that way?
- Why does Melville choose the name Elijah for this prophet?
- What is the overall effect of this chapter on the tone of the book?
Asked on 02.06.2017 in English Literature.