The Things They Carried help with homework: Assignment #11 (“The People we Marry”)
Assignment #11 (“The People we Marry”)
1. Discuss John Wade. What do you think about him and his behavior?
2. Discuss the conversation between John Wade and Kathy about his life goals. If you read All the King’s Men, do you hear an echo here?
3. Discuss John Wade’s war career—and what his comrades think of him.
4. Discuss what happens when John Wade returns from the war.
5. What is the significance of the biblical passage that the minister reads at the wedding?
6. What does this story say to you?