Why is the world not ready for friendship between men and women?
In truth, it could be argued that the world just isn’t ready for men and women to be friends as the recent 2013 Disney film ‘Frozen’ shows. Upon initial release this film was seen as a breakthrough as lead character, Queen Elsa, lasts the entirety of the film independent upon a prince to come and save the day for her and though princess Anna begins the film loved up with a man she just met the true love that saves her, in the end, is from her her sister instead of a man. This film held the opportunity to pave the way for modern cinema, but instead, the movie received backlash as the character Elsa was named by fans as the first lesbian or asexual Disney princess instead of being the breakthrough that it was as a female whose first interest was not of love but for her kingdom and her family. This shows that possibly in a world were many heterosexual friendships don’t exist in the media the world just isn’t bred to see the possibility of love not existing between the two sexes but instead looks for it and has to explain its absence instead of understanding its existence is just naturally there.
Though it may not be impossible for men and women to find a friendship as through a study of college students by Bleske and Buss in 2000 it was found that friendships between the opposite sexes was actually beneficial as these friendships offered the chance for dinner companionship, conversation partners and the ability to share resources about the opposite sex in order to aid each other in finding a sexual partner instead of being one another’s a sexual partner. Though the male and female responses differed in this study as men were more likely to see the benefit of sexual relationship between the two – ‘friends with benefits’ – unlike women who preferred to keep their friendship within normal friendship guidelines – friend zoned’. As a result of this men were more likely to admit sexual relationship between the two at 22%. Though this leaves a complete 78% of heterosexual friendships that do not claim to have had intercourse with one another and if by the Hollywood terms of ‘When Harry met Sally’friendship between the two is only ruined due to sexual attraction it can be seen that other half of opposite-sex friendships can be possible.