Moby-Dick Discussion questions Chapter 1 “Loomings”: What are the several meanings of “loomings”
- What are the several meanings of “loomings”? In what ways do all of these meanings seem appropriate?
- What does Melville tell us about the narrator by naming him “Ishmael”? What things might this name foreshadow?
- Why does Ishmael go to sea? What is he trying to find?
- What common human instinct does Ishmael notice in this chapter? Why does Melville point it out?
- What reasons does Ishmael give for going to sea as a common sailor?
- Why does Ishmael choose to take a whaling voyage in particular?
- The chapter ends with a metaphor and a simile describing Moby Dick. What are the meanings of those figures of speech? In other words, what do they suggest about the whale?
Asked on 02.06.2017 in English Literature.