Moby-Dick discussion questions Chapter 113 “The Forge” and Chapter 114 “The Gilder”
- Explain what Ahab means when he says, “I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad.”
- How does Ahab temper the tip of his harpoon? Why does he choose that manner? In what sense might it be symbolic?
- Explain why the chapter title is appropriate. How does it relate to the surface/depth theme?
- How does the weaving motif arise in this chapter?
- Describe Ishmael’s view of the spiritual development of a person. How does that relate to Starbuck’s utterance near the end of the chapter?
Asked on 05.06.2017 in English Literature.