Moby-Dick discussion questions Chapter 20 “All Astir” and Chapter 21 “Going Aboard”
- What does the magnitude of preparations remind the reader about this voyage? Coupled with the previous chapter, what sentiment does that generate?
- Why does Elijah accost Ishmael and Queequeg again? Why these two?
- The mysterious sailors seen in the mist are “Very dim, very dim,” according to Elijah. What kind of a being can be “dim”?
- Previously, Queequeg’s tomahawk-pipe has only been used for what purpose? In this chapter we get the first explicit reference to its other job; how is the duality of the tomahawk’s nature symbolic?
- What is the effect of Captain Ahab’s invisibility?
Asked on 02.06.2017 in English Literature.