Moby-Dick discussion questions Chapter 8 “The Pulpit” and Chapter 9 “The Sermon”
- Describe the peculiarities of the pulpit within this chapel.
- With what critical symbol does Melville end this chapter?
- Describe the contrast between Father Mapple’s demeanor at the end of the chapter and the things he says at the end of his sermon.
- In what way might the nature of Father Mapple’s place in the pulpit contribute to his state at the end of the chapter? Also, explain how his first command to his audience might relate as well.
- What lessons could Ishmael learn not only from the sermon, but from Father Mapple himself?
- As the book progresses, see if any character reminds you of Father Mapple.
Asked on 02.06.2017 in English Literature.