Moby-Dick Questions Chapter 1: Explain the biblical allusion to Ishmael
- Explain the biblical allusion to Ishmael.
2. What does Ishmael do whenever he finds himself growing “grim about the mouth”?
3. What does Ishmael mean by a “substitute for pistol and ball”?
4. What proof does Ishmael offer that others feel the same as he does about the sea?
5. What is some of the “magic” which water performs for men?
6. How did the Greeks and the Persians perceive the sea?
7. How did Narcissus die?
8. Other than not having the money, why does Ishmael never go to sea as a passenger?
9. How does Ishmael explain his willingness to be ordered around?
10. What are Ishmael’s chief motives in going whaling?